This is one of the most important side dishes, in all of south india. Idli, dosa or vada, any savoury snack is generally accompanied by coconut chutney. This popular accompaniment can also be readied in minutes.
Cooking Time 15 mins
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 small green chillies , chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal or roasted chana
- salt to taste
For The Tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1 red chilli , broken into pieces
- 2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp oil
- Put the coconut, green chillies, ginger, roasted split gram and salt in a blender with a little water and grind to make a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil and adding the mustard seeds, red chilli and curry leaves and stirring till the mustard seeds crackle. Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required