Curry leaves also known as ‘kadi patta’ in Hindi is one of the popular herb used in Indian cooking especially in South Indian cooking. It gives a distinct aroma and flavor to Indian dishes. Curry leaves or curry patta has numerous health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin A, calcium, folic acid and fiber. Its oil stimulates hair growth and also helps to prevent premature graying of hair.
- Curry leaves 1 cup
- Onions 2 cut length wise
- Oil 2 tsp
- Red chillies 2
- Chana dal 1 tbsp
- Hing a pinch
- Grated coconut 2 tbsp
- Amchoor ½ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Wash curry leaves, drain the water and pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add chana dal, red chillies and hing. Saute until dal turns golden brown.
- Now add sliced onion and stir fry till they become pink add curry leaves and saute in low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add amchoor, grated coconut, salt needed and saute for a few more seconds. Remove from flame and leave it to cool.
- Grind it to a smooth paste adding little water. The consistency should neither be thick nor thin, so adjust water accordingly.
- Heat a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, pour the seasoning on the chutney. Mix well and serve with idli or dosa.