Healthy and delicious chick pea patties , a specialty of Middle East
Falafel is a traditional and very popular Middle Eastern street food.Though it is a snack but can be as filling as a main dish if served with pita bread. Falafels can be made either with chick peas or with the combination of chick peas and feva beans. Chickpea cutlet are deep fried and then stuffed in pita bread with finely chopped salad and Tahini sauce. The fried falafels can also be served as a snack with Hummus or mint chutney
It is rich in protein and use of salad , pita bread and tahini sauce make it healthy and filling meal.
- Chick peas /Kabuli chana, soaked – 2 cup
- Parsley, chopped – 1/3 cup
- Fresh coriander,chopped – 1.5 tbsp
- Spring Onions 2 ( onions and green parts both) chopped
- Green chilies, chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Ginger, chopped- 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder /kali mirch- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera – 3/4 tsp
- Sesame seeds /till – 2 tsp
- Refined flour/Maida- 1.5 tsp
- Baking soda- a pinch of
- Salt-to taste
- White sesame seeds /till- 3 tbsp
- Green chilies,chopped- 1tsp
- Coriander,chopped- 2 tbsp
- Mint, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 2 tsp
- Yogurt or water – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1/3 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- well-cooked chickpeas 2 cups drained , liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Ground cumin or paprika, 1 tbsp plus a sprinkling for garnish
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Soak chickpeas overnight in enough water.
- In the morning drain and rinse them well (no need to boil the chick peas )
- Add all the ingredients to make falafal in the blender and grind to make a course mixture.
- Take out the ground paste in a bowl and mix.
- Now make flat patties or round balls from the mixture and deep fry in oil on medium heat.
- Fry till golden in colour and then drain on a paper napkin.
- Dry roast sesame seeds in a pan till they start crackling.
- Grind sesame with all the ingredients in the mixer and make a smooth paste .
- Now add yogurt or water and grind again..
- Take out in a bowl and keep aside.
- Put everything except the parsley in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. . Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and sprinkled with a bit more cumin or paprika and some parsley.
- No need to boil the chickpeas,use soaked chick peas or a mix of chick peas and feva beans.
- If the ground paste become loose and having difficult in shaping the falafels then add some more refined flour,or keep it refrigerated for some time.
- You can also add some grated vegetables in the falafel mix to make it more healthier.
- For making tahini sauce you can add yogurt instead of water to make it tangy.
- You can serve them stuffed in pita breads.
- Take a pita bread and cut it in half to make 2 pieces.
- Slit open the pita slices to make pocket.
- Apply some tahini sauce on the sides of pockets.
- Now stuff the pockets with 2-3 fried falafels.
- Now put mixed veggies salad over the falafels.
- Drizzle tahini sauce over it and serve with Hummus.
- You can apply some olive oil on the pita bread and heat it on a griddle before assembling.
- If pita bread is not available then you can use kulchas to make this.