Gathiya is a popular Gujarati tea time snacks. Gathiya is made of gramflour moulded into strips and deep fried. Here is the recipe for how to make gathiya. It is an easy to make savoury which can be served during festivals.
- 4 cups Besan (Chickpea Flour)
- cup oil for the dough
- tsp Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- tsp heeng (asafetida)
- 1 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, crushed carom seeds and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Add hot oil to the flour and mix very well.
- Add 1 cup of water to it and gently mix.
- The dough should be sticky.
- Knead the dough for a couple of minutes and set aside for 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Take the sev maker and fit in the big holes disc. Grease the sev make with little oil.
- Take a small portion of the dough and place it in the sev maker.
- Now slowly press the sev maker over the hot oil.
- Deep fry them on a low – medium flame until golden color, turn over to fry on both sides evenly.
- Drain them on paper towels and let them cool completely.
- Break them into pieces and store in an airtight container.