Kaddu Ka Bharta, a delicious bharta made of juicy pumpkins! Bharta is a slightly mushy vegetable-based dish that tastes heavenly. The mild sweetness of the pumpkin is beautifully balanced by a mixture of spice powders.
- 1 kg chopped red pumpkin ( kaddu)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil in a kadahi and add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the pumpkin, asafoetida, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt cook for 10-15 mins. so that the pumpkin becomes mushy.
- Add the amchur and salt and mix well. Simmer till the oil separates from the pumpkin.
- Serve hot, garnished with the coriander.