Maharastrian Kanda Poha is a very popular breakfast or teatime snack. It is made from rice flakes (flattened/beaten rice) and tosssed in onions, green chillies and peanuts. It is a light meal for the morning, this super quick dish is just right for you. You can always spice it up or down depending on your taste.
- 300 gms Poha (rice flakes or Beaten Rice)
- 2 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium green chillies, split in half
- 6-8 Curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp rai (small mustered seeds)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves, chopped fine, for the garnish
- juice from one large lemon
- Heat the oil in a large shallow pan. When the oil is hot, add rai. When they splutter, add the chilli, peanuts and the curry leaves.
- Add the onions and cook till light pink or brown on a medium flame.
- In the meanwhile, wash the pohe and leave them to drain in a sieve.
- Once the onions are cooked, add turmeric powder, cook for 5 sec. add in the pohe, season with salt, add the sugar and chopped coriander leaves . Stir all the ingredients well, turn the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- After about 3 to 4 minutes, turn off the heat and add lemon juice, mix well and serve the Maharashtrian Kanda Poha for breakfast or as a tea time snack.