Matar kachori is a fried poorie or kachori recipe with mashed peas and spices as filling. It is flaky, crisp and deep fried. Enjoy the matar kachori as snack with chutney or Aalo ki subji..Recently I prepared these kachories with spicy aaloo ki subji and believe me it was awesome. Everybody in my family just loved it.
For the dough
Maida (All-purpose flour) 2 cups
Salt 1/4 tsp
Ghee, melted 2 Tbsp
Water about 3/4 to 1 cup
For the filling
Green peas 1 cup crushed
Asfoetida a pinch
Ginger 1/4 tsp
Green chillies 2 finely chopped
Coriander powder 1/2 tsp
Jeera (Cumin seeds) 1 tsp
Coriander Powder 1 tsp
Chilli Powder 1 1/2 tsp
Cooking Oil 1 Tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves 4 Tbsp (finely chopped)
In a bowl mix all purpose flour, salt, and ghee. Add water little by little to make a semi-stiff dough (meaning the dough should neither be very hard nor very soft).Cover the dough with damp cloth and set aside for 15 minutes.
To make the filling
- While the dough is resting, make the filling.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, carom seeds, ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add chillies and sauté for I min add crushed peas and mix.
- Cook covered for 10 mins stir once and add coriander powder, chilli powder, and salt and cook for another 2 mins.keep aside to cool.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Let it cool.
To make Kachoris
- Divide the dough in to approximately 11 to 12 equal pieces.
- Take one piece of the dough, shape them in to cup. Add a tsp of filling and pull the edges to cover the filling. Flatten the round in to flat discs. Repeat the above steps for other pieces of the dough.
- Heat oil to a medium heat (the oil should not be very hot and not very cold. The indication is when you drop a small piece of the dough, the dough should not sink nor float up immediately but slowly sizzle up).
- Drop the kachoris carefully in the oil. Let it cook one side, flip and cook the other side. Fry the kachoris till they are golden brown. Drain on a paper towel serve hot with tamarind chutney.