Bengal gram is abundantly used in Rajasthani cooking because it grows in plenty in the arid desert conditions. Besan made from Bengal gram is used to make rotis, gatta, mithai and also as a thickening agent for kadhi. Gatte ka Pulao is made on festive occasions when plain steamed rice is not served. As vegetables are not available throughout the year, cooked gattas are added to spice up this pulao.
For The Gattas
1/2 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
1/2 tbsp curds (dahi)
3 1/2 tsp oil
salt to taste
oil for deep-frying
For The Pulao
2 1/2 cups cooked long grained rice (chawal)
1 tbsp oil
1 cardamom (elaichi)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 cup deep-fried sliced onions
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
To Be Blended Into A Smooth Paste , (using 1 Tbsp Of Water)
4 garlic (lehsun) cloves
2 roughly chopped green chillies
50 mm (2″) piece ginger (adrak)
1/2 cup sliced onions
For The Garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For the gattas
1. Combine all the ingredients for the gattas in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough using 2 tbsp of water.
2. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a 200 mm. (8″) long thin cylindrical roll.
3. Cut the gattas into 10 to 12 equal pieces and keep aside.
4. Boil plenty of water in a deep non-stick pan and cook the gattas in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, deep-fry the gatta pieces till they turn light brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
2. Add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
3. Add the cooked rice, deep-fried onions, deep-fried gattas, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.