Like most South Indian recipes, this is a hot and spicy tomato and onion chutney. Perk up your meal with this recipe. Purée this to make a coarse chutney and enjoy the contrasting flavours.
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the green chillies, chana dal, urad dal and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato, turmeric powder and salt and sauté for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Purée the mixture in a blender to get a smooth chutney.
- Serve at room temperature or store upto 2 days, refrigerated.