I simply adore red bell peppers and tomatoes and when combined they are absolutely irresistible. Red bell pepper tomato chutney is versatile and can also be used as a dip or spread. A must try chutney …..among South Indian vegetarian recipes!
- Red Bell Pepper 2 chopped into 1″ pieces
- Tomatoes 4 large, sliced
- Chana dal 3 tbsp
- Dry red chilies 3
- Green chilies 2
- Cumin 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsps
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil 3 tbsps
- OIl 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Red chilies 2
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Asafetida a pinch
- Heat 3 tsp of oil in a vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce flame, add chana dal, cumin and red chilies and saute till the dal turns light brown.
- Add green chilies and coriander leaves and saute for 2 mins. Remove the contents from the vessel and keep aside to cool.
- In the same vessel, add a tbsp of oil, add the red bell pepper pieces and saute for 5 mins. Add the tomatoes and saute on low to medium flame. Turn off heat and cool.
- Blend the dal-red chilies mixture till coarse. Then add the cooled ingredients (tomatoes and red bell peppers) along with salt and grind to a fine paste.
- Remove into a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida and turn off heat.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and serve with idli or dosa.