veg momos are steamed dumplings stuffed with a lightly spiced vegetable filling. It is a popular tibetan recipe.
- 1 cup all purpose flour(maida)
- ½ tsp oil
- ¼ tsp salt or as required
- 2 to 3 tbsp water for kneading or as required
for the stuffing
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups finely chopped vegetables (chopped cabbage, carrots, chopped capsicum )
- 2 small sized spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce (optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper or as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt as per taste
preparing the outer cover of momos:
- Take the all purpose flour/maida, salt and oil in a bowl and mix it.
- Add water in parts and knead to a firm dough. Cover the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
for the veg momos stuffing:
- Finely chop all the vegetables. You can also use a food processor to chop the vegetables.
- Heat oil. Add garlic. Saute for 2-3 seconds.
- Add onions and saute for 10-15 seconds. Add all the finely chopped vegetables.
- Increase the flame and stir fry the vegetables on high heat.
- When the edges starts getting golden, add soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Continue to stir fry on high heat till the vegetables are cooked.
- Check the taste and add more salt, pepper or soy sauce, if required.
- Make ball and keep them covered with a moist napkin.
- Take each dough ball and on a lightly dusted board, roll each dough ball into a thin circle of about 2-3 inch diameter.
- Try to get the edges to be thin and the center to be thick.
- Place 1 or 2 tsp of vegetable stuffing in the center.
- Fold and form the pleats one by one. Towards the end, join the pleats in the center.
- Prepare all momos this way and keep them covered under a moist napkin. Heat water in a steamer or in a electric cooker or in a pressure cooker. Let the water come to a boil.
- Steam momos for10 minutes.
- Don’t overdo the steaming, as the dough becomes dense and dry.
- The steaming time may vary upon the thickness of momos’ cover.
- When you touch the momo then dough should not feel sticky to you. This means they are done and the momos will have a transparent look.
- Serve vegetable momos with a spicy sauce like schezwan sauce or tomato-chili sauce or chili sauce. You can also serve it with red chilli garlic chutney. Momos go very well with a spicy sauce.